As we all know that VPN is used by many of the users in order to protect their online privacy and it is certainly most important as well.
Privacy and security are something that every user expects from their VPN provider.
After all, no one wants to risk their personal life or data. Thus they need a reliable and a trustworthy VPN. There are many VPN providers like NordVPN, ExpressVPN etc.
Many times we have heard this word VPN and even many of the users are currently using them.
So what does VPN stands for?
A VPN stands for Virtual Private Network.
This is all you need when comes for secure connection and safe browsing. It basically adds security and encryption to the hotspots, open Wi-Fi and even company servers.
VPN is used so that any third party could not access the data or track down your id and take your personal data or confidential files.
You all might wonder as how many must be using VPNs?
Are there any others users like us?
Well you will be shocked to see the statistics which I will provide in this article.
It will be all factual statements and data in order to give you all a rough idea about the importance and usage of VPN across the globe irrespective of the place, region, and country.
The data itself speaks for all the possible reason as to why people invest and trust so much upon VPN irrespective of the cost it demand.
Let’s see what all the numbers have to speak on behalf of them
As we are growing stronger in the world of internet and technology.
There is also gradual increment of online threats as well like data copying, privacy hindrance, bank accounts getting hacked during online transaction, intrusion of viruses, complete device hacking etc.
Activities like these can be a major source of concern as no one want any stranger to look into someone’s personal life or data. Now in order to prevent these hindrances VPNs play a major role.
VPN is all you need when you want to be carefree during any random surfing on the internet.
All you need to do is do your work and the work of security and protection will be done by your VPN provider.
Now you all might be wondering, as these VPNs and all are meant for big farm and for bib companies.
All we do is either Bing watch or Netflix that is it. So what’s the need of VPN?
Well, this is the question which is raised by many people and certainly it is a very common doubt.
You should understand one thing that all the black hat hacker need is the victim to be present online, how?
It doesn’t even matter.
Though you are on watching Netflix and chilling but at the same time you are online as well.
This slight catch is sufficient for the hacker to do its job. Moreover, look at the stats which I will be presenting to you.
You will be amazed and at times shock to see how many of us are using VPN in the sake of protection even for watching online streaming like Netflix, amazon prime, HBO, Hulu etc. It is very well said that prevention is better than cure.
And thus prevention is using VPN whereas cure is Cyber security and you don’t the data you lost, will it be recovered?
It is time to jump in the world of numbers and see what the numbers talk about the VPN users.
- 44% population of Indonesia are using a VPN. Almost half of the population of a country is using it and thereby confirm the trust they have on the VPN service provider.
- As of now 26% of all the internet users have used VPN at least once, that clearly means either they have opted for the free trial or the paid one but they have invested on the VPN
- Between 16 to 24 age group, 35% are the VPN users
- Between 25 to 34 age group, this figure is slightly decreases as it is 33% of the VPN users
- It is an interesting figure 90% of the services come from the businesses which are funded after the year 2005
- As far as sudden increase is concerned, last month 15% of the mobile users had used VPN and 17% of the desktop users had also accessed service of VPN.
- When people are travelling and as a matter of internet security 47% of them use VPN for personal use like accessing any photos or videos and around 36% use services of VPN for their business purpose.
Personal data security statistics
This data will give you all a rough idea as how VPNs are helping their users in order to keep their secure and protect their privacy. Moreover, apart from the personal handlings, people are also worried about their installed plastic cards on the phone, in order to make online payments. They are concerned to protect their cards as well.
- 45% of Americans are more stressed over their online protection today than they were a year prior. It is a quite a good example of how technology and people understand each other and thus leading them to adopt VPN.
- 74% of Americans have restricted their online movement because of security concerns. It might be because either they are too scared or haven’t adopted good means to protect their device.
- 93% of information breaks could have been maintained a strategic distance from through key information security endeavors.
- When gotten some information about the significant concerns identified with online security, 63% are generally worried about data fraud, while 45% said banking and charge card misrepresentation.
- There were 150 million assaults on cell phones in the first half of 2018 which is again quite a number to create a sense of worry.
- When asked “are you worried about your administration keeping an eye on you”, the nations with the most “yes” answers were the United States and China, both at 80%. The nation with minimal measure of “yes” answers was Tunisia in Northern Africa.
- Over 91% of Americans accept that they have lost command over how their own data is gathered.
- 31% have announced an information penetrate of a family unit gadget (VPN Mentor).
- 92% of open Wi-Fi clients on cell phones overlook security admonitions from their telephones
- 43% of individuals universally feel they need command over their own data and hence is good stat as more and more no of people are feeling aware of the data.
VPN statistics by country and region
You all might be wondering as what is the percentage of the people of different country using VPN?
You will be amazed to see the statistics of the country using VPN. Here is the list of the data for different world regions:
- Asia & Pacific: 30%
- Middle east & Africa: 20%
- Europe: 18%
- Latin America: 23%
- North America: 18%
There are certain countries which are amongst the top users of VPN users. Certainly people of these countries are quite responsible for their privacy and security. Due to this reason they are more inclined towards VPN service providers.
The top hub for VPN users are:
- The top users are from India and Indonesia having 38% people using VPN
- Turkey being in the runner up position with 32% population
- Third place is with China with 31% of the total users
- Next up is Malaysia and Saudi Arabia having 29% population each
- At last with 25% of people the market is full with users from Vietnam, United Arab Emirates and even Philippines.
Like stated earlier there are some countries which are less on usage of VPN and thus they rank least in the users of VPN across the world. These are:
- In Australia there are only 4% of people browsing using any virtual private networks
- The United Stated and the United Kingdom share the second place with 5% population each using VPN
- Germany is on the 3rd position with 6% of active VPN users
VPN Internet usage statistics
We all are very much occupied with our internet and has shaped our lives accordingly. If just for a sake, I dare you all to live a day without your phone, you won’t be able to do this. Nor can me frankly speaking.
We all know that we all are bounded to one single device and in order to proof this, let us see some factual stats which might turn as an eye opener for the ones who believe that these things are false
- More than 26 % of all the internet users relay on the VPN service providers. This clearly shows the trust they have on VPN
- In the current year 2020, there were around 4.1 billion internet users, 3.2 billion social media users and also 5.1 billion were the mobile users
- The internet breakdown traffic from smartphones is 52 % and around 43 % from the laptops and desktops
- There is law called Internet of freedom, which is basically right to internet access and also having digital media freedom (under certain boundaries) with 100 being the best. Iceland has the highest score with 95 and China is at the bottom by securing the least point with 10
- According to one of the poll conducted in year 2020, it is said that 42 % access social media in order to stay in touch with their friends and families. Of which remaining 41 % is using internet just to stay up to date with the current affairs and news.
Business data security statistics
As far as official data is concerned it ought to be encrypted so that the intruders are not able to break your code and enter in highly confidential files or data.
Business data ought to be encrypted and in order to accomplish this, the use of VPN become highly required and thus companies are following it.
- When it was asked to the big companies that if their business was ready for any cyber security, around 37 % of them said yes
- Around 93 % of IT worker and professional experience challenges with data security and privacy
- 82 % of businesses have employees that do not follow data privacy and security policies.
Gender based statistics
At a glance, you might say that VPN users must be high for the female gender as they need to secure their personal data and are on a more vulnerable side due to the unfortunate present situation.
But the question is, is it true?
Let us find out
- 62 % are the Male users
- 38 % are the female users
As seen from the stats, it deliver the complete opposite information to what was expected.
Moreover, there can be many reasons for the same and hence it is quite difficult to generalize the reason for more umber of male users over the female users. There can be several aspects responsible for it which might not be known to all of us.
I hope it is pretty much clear to you all as how many people from all over the world are using VPN and has made VPN service provider super wealthy and also at the same time increased their sense of responsibility as they have set their crowd and their trust. Thus they can’t afford to break your trust or any customer’s trust for that matter.
VPN users statics is kind of an eye opener as to tell that how many of us are believing and using different VPN service provider in order to protect the files and privacy from any intruder.